Raj Janagam Fellow 2011
Living in: Hyderabad, Andhra Pradesh — India
Venture: UnLtd Hyderabad
Launchpad for social entrepreneurs in Andhra Pradesh, India
Operating in: South Asia
Impact Area: Agriculture, Animals, Arts, Children and Youth, Civic...
"A Student of Social Entrepreneurship and Philosophy."
Describe yourself briefly.
“An expert in bicycle sharing systems for developing countries, with an award winning and world recognized brand – ‘Cycle Chalao!’ founded in India.
Spent last three years in pioneering work for bicycle sharing systems for which I was featured by Forbes, Fast Company and Outlook Business Magazines and has been an acclaimed social entrepreneur & fellow at Unlimited India.
Am currently working with the Ministry of Urban Development (Government of India) and Pune City Municipal Corporation in designing and implementing mass-based high impact bicycle sharing systems in India.”
Describe your Unreasonable Venture in 100 words or less.
Our mission is to find, fund and support social entrepreneurs in Andhra Pradesh. By giving them seed capital, coaching, access to meaningful networks and connections, developing skills and capacity we engage with the social entrepreneurs at very early stage of development.
Describe your relevant experience (especially entrepreneurial).
Working in Development Sector since last 4 Years. Personal journey in social sector has been from Social Advocacy towards Social Entrepreneurship.
Currently combining both the skills to create the next generation change model! Had held National Coordinator and other leadership positions earlier to this venture.
Why is your team uniquely qualified to run this venture?
Along with the passion, the team has the knowledge and experience of developing a social enterprise with triple bottom-line impact.
The project needs the right balance of entrepreneurial and advocacy approaches for promoting cycling and establishing bicycle sharing systems and other infrastructure in the country for the first time and the team is just comprised of the right capacity!
Some complementing skills the team together carries are social needs assessment, social marketing, social impact assessment, team building etc.
What is the urgent social or environmental need you're addressing?
Some Critical Issues:
- 97% people on Mumbai live in high pollution zones.
- Vehicles contribute to a shocking 62% of the total air pollution in Mumbai
- Mumbai citizens lose 20.2 million work days due to pollution – related illnesses.
- 9.01 lakh people suffer from pollution – related asthma.
- 5,800 people are admitted to hospitals for pollution-related respiratory symptoms.
- 24,000 adults and 2.20 lakh children are affected by chronic bronchitis caused by pollution.
While inadequacy and waiting periods for public transport remain high adding to the frustration of lakhs of routine commuters in the city!
Convince us it will work. What milestones have you achieved?
In less than five months, UnLtd Hyderabad has:
● Brought together over 150 stakeholders in Hyderabad’s first public event to highlight social entrepreneurship through presentations and networking
● Supported 11 potential investees through: a platform to pitch their ventures to the audience, one month of incubation support to prepare for the pitch, and networking at the event. Presenters created an average of 4 connections each that they felt were valuable and were active one week after the event.
● Received appx. 35 applications from urban and rural areas for 10 vacancies
○ Applicants span focus areas in education, sustainable and organic agriculture, empowerment (of farmers / women / youth), livelihoods, environment, health, media / awareness for social change, physical disabilities, etc.