What Do Fellows Get?
Build Your Toolkit
You’ve got a business that’s creating impact. But to scale that impact by orders of magnitude, you’re going to need hard skills and serious tools. Our job is to help you get them. Here’s what you’ll walk out of the 2013 Unreasonable Institute with:
A plan for scaling by 10x and how you’re going to do it consisting of:
- A business model canvas to help you understand how changes in one part of your business affect others,
- A set of robust, 3-year pro-forma financial projections,
- Clarity on how to build and manage your team at scale,
- A 3-year timeline, including annual goals that break down into quarterly goals, monthly goals, and weekly goals so you know what you can do today to move toward scale, and
- Performance metrics to help you keep track of whether or not you’re moving toward scale.
The ability to communicate compellingly to get the resources you need, including:
- The ability to hold one-on-one conversations with anyone, that will enable you to lock up partnerships, funders, and long-term support from mentors,
- A video of your 30-second pitch (you can see videos from the 2012 Class here),
- A 5-minute TED-style video in front of an audience of over 850 people explaining your venture (you can see videos from the 2012 Class here), and
- A 3-5 minute “spotlight video” explaining your story and your venture (see this example of 2012 Fellow Paseka Lesolang’s story).
The ability to show funders you are ready for investment, including:
- Knowledge of how to build strong investor relationships, as taught by Unreasonable Mentor Tom Suddes (who’s founded 19 companies, raised $1 billion, and coached other entrepreneurs to raise over $1 billion in total),
- Answers to over 50 investor due diligence questions that will put you in the top echelon of preparedness,
- A Compelling Investor 2-Pager,
- A strong term sheet to propose to prospective funders, and
- Confident leadership of investor meetings at Investor Days, demonstrating your skills as a team leader.
Strong leadership and management skills, including:
- The ability to rapidly prototype, as taught by Unreasonable Mentor Tom Chi (head of User Experience at Google Special Projects),
- Practice managing a team to quick outputs in leading a team from the Boulder community at the Unreasonable Scrimmage, and
- Workshops on how to be a CEO, how to scale operations, how to hire and fire, how to on-board, and how to create a world-class team culture.
Don’t Go At It Alone: Build a Diverse Global Network of Support
Scale Your Impact: It’s Time to Take Flight
You’ll come into the Institute with a plan for scaling your company. We will help you hone that plan and swarm the resources and relationships you need to give it momentum.
In the short-term, we will help execute a plan to scale your impact by 10x. This means building and managing a team that can make it happen, finding the mentors and advisors to guide you, and raising the funding to do so. In the long-term, we’re working to build a suite of on-going support services to help you as you scale by 100x and eventually 1,000x!